Diseases » Cancer- Causes, treatment and prevention
What is Cancer? What are signs and symptoms of cancer? What we should know about cancer? How to prevent cancer?
Cancer is the out of control multiplication of cells in the body which are abnormal. Cancer advances when the body’s immunity mechanism stops working. In normal condition cell grows, and divide to form new cells and old cells are replaced by new cells when they are damaged or grow old. In cancer cell growth continues with old cells even when they are damaged they do not die, and also they keep on generating new cells which is abnormal.
Cancer is just the general name of the disease which has many types. When these additional cells form a tissue mass, it is called a tumor. Not all type of cancers form tumors. Cancerous tumors are of two types benign and malignant. In Malignant Type of tumor, cells can spread or attack to nearby tissues. As these tumors grow, some of cancer cells can detach and move to other organs in the body through the lymphatic system and blood and there they form new tumor distant from the original tumor.
While, benign tumors are large tumor which are not dangerous and they do not spread or attack nearby tissues. When benign tumor is removed from the body, they generally do not grow again, while malignant tumors occasionally do. But Benign brain tumors can be dangerous.
There are three stages of cancer and cancer cure is possible in early stages of cancer, in last stage it may be difficult to cure cancer.
There are many researches going on for cancer. There is not any particular cause of cancer found but there are many factors which may be contributing for cancer. Some of the factors one can control to prevent cancer while some of the factors like age, family history is impossible to control. Family history of some types of cancer can be signal of Inherited cancer syndrome.
Some of the following risk factors
But there is no age limit to disease, it can occur at any age. For example, bone cancer is most often detected among individuals below age 20. And other type of cancer like leukemia’s are detected mostly in children and teenagers under 20 years of age in about 10% of cases. Other types of cancer like neuroblastoma, are mostly detected in children or teenagers than in adults.
2. Alcohol consumption: people who are addicted or who drink more than moderate amount are more prone to cancers of liver, mouth, larynx, throat cancer and breast cancer. Risk levels are high for those who drink and also addicted to tobacco.
3. Cancer causing agents in environment: there are some carcinogens present in the environment that can damage DNA. exposures to these substances like chemicals in smoke of tobacco or harmful radiation like ultraviolet(UV) rays from the sun. People can take measures to avoid exposures of these harmful agents.
4. Inflammation which is chronic: Inflammation is a physiological response which is normal it helps to heal tissues which are damaged. process of inflammation ends when tissue is repaired. In chronic inflammation, the process of inflammation might begin without any injury and it never end. Chronic inflammation might be initiated by never ending infections, for normal tissue there is abnormal immune reactions. chronic inflammation can lead to DNA damage which in turn cause cancer. like, people suffering from chronic inflammatory bowel diseases, like Crohn disease, may have increase rate of colon cancer.
5. Some Infectious Agents: some infectious agents like viruses, bacteria and parasites, can cause cancer in the people who are suffering from the same or also raise the risk of cancer. Certain viruses can disturb the normal control on growth of cell and cell division. Some virus like Hepatitis B and Hepatitis C, Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV) which is known for causing AIDS increase the risk of cancer as they attack immune system of the body.
6. Exposure to radiation: some radiations like x rays, gamma rays have ionizing radiation, which are very powerful and can damage DNA and cause cancer.
7. Genetics: some types of cancer run in some families, but most of the types of cancers are not evidently related to the genes we inherit. Changes in the Gene that begin in one cell over the progress of an individual's life cause cancers.
there are many types of cancer, some of the commonest cancer types are listed below:
These are some generals signs and symptoms of cancer, having them does not mean you suffer from cancer as they also seen in other conditions too but if these symptoms are long lasting and getting worse then you should visit your doctor for finding out the cause.
Other cancer symptoms are specific to particular type of cancer.
As everybody is aware of the cancer and its power, treatment of cancer depends upon its stage. There are many alternative therapies which can be tried along with cancer treatment which may help cancer patients to improve their immunity and help them to relieve their symptoms:
Cancer is one of the life threating disease where is mostly incurable in later stages, following are the ways which may help to prevent the cancer and its progress.